You may be looking for a new profile picture for your LinkedIn account. You may need a personal branding portrait for your business profile. Your company may need a professional looking photo of you for the corporate website. Either way, if you have never sat for a headshot session at a photo studio before then the thought can be quite daunting. In order to make the most of your session then you may need some corporate portrait photography tips to help you to prepare for your big day.
Everyone feels nervous when they first step in front of a camera. This is natural. Don’t worry, this is not our first rodeo. We are here to help you through every step of the way; from the moment you contact us for a booking, through to the proud day you can share your images with family, friends and colleagues. All of our portrait and headshot sessions are setup with the camera tethered directly to a calibrated monitor. This allows us to guide your through the shoot as well as review the images on the fly.
How To Prepare For Your Corporate Headshot
So, let’s assume you’ve decided which corporate headshot package is right for you and you’ve made your headshot booking. You have the appointment firmly locked into your calendar and the date is rapidly drawing near. This post contains some tips to help you to get ready for your shoot.
To start with, here are a few general pointers as you prepare for your headshot session:
- Ensure that you are well rested and hydrated in the lead up to your planned shoot.
- Arrive timely. Allow yourself plenty of time to make your appointment slot.
- Have your hair, makeup and attire as you would for a meeting with senior management or a client.
Some people elect to cut dairy and increase Omega 3 intake. This has the combined effect of reducing puffiness, especially around the eyes. Taking Vitamin C can also help, although the main thing to remember is to make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
Above all else, you should arrive with an open mind and lots of positive energy. In order to get the most out of your corporate headshot photography session, you should be prepared to have some fun.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t – you’re right.”– Henry Ford
Corporate Portrait Photography Tips
Some of these corporate portrait photography tips may apply specifically to ladies or gents. Have a read through and take note of what applies to you.
- Don’t wear anything that would divert attention from the expression on your face.
- Avoid large jewellery or distracting clothing.
- Avoid small patterns. Try to wear solids or solids with texture.
- Layers are also recommended; wear a jacket over a shirt/blouse.
- Bring clothing that you like and are comfortable wearing.
- Bring clothing specific to your requirements; be it formal, corporate or casual, etc.
- Feel free to bring different shirts or jackets to vary your look, if time permits.
- Makeup should be minimal, clean and natural.
- Try not to get your hair cut/coloured the day before a photoshoot. Hair normally looks better after a week or so.
- We have access to and recommend a makeup artist. We will provide details for this during the booking stage. Consider this option carefully.
There is a well-lit bathroom with a large mirror at our studio. Although we recommend that you arrive ‘headshot ready’.
Finally, make sure you take your time, relax and have fun. We will experiment with poses and expressions during your session. Our aim is to deliver a corporate headshot that shows you at your best – confident, professional and a pleasure to work with.